08 Feb Migration of Lotus Notes to Office365
8 FEB 2018
A reputed public transport company in Silicon Valley USA having about 16,000 employees’ around multiple time zones was using IBM Lotus Notes for its email communication.
Clients concocted a thought
As per the new Government policies, the customer was supposed to upgrade their email infrastructure to Office 365 to be in complaint with the policies. The requirements were as follows:
- Customer needs all mailboxes from the Domino environment to be moved to Office365.
- All Shared mailbox (Generic accounts) user permission differentials on the mailboxes m
- ust me migrated.
- Since we have proposed a staged migration approach, Migrated Users must be able to communicate to non-migrated Domino user seamlessly and vice versa.
- All calendaring, invites, free/busy, delegated bookings, rooms, resources, and calendar reviewing must co-exist between both environments.
- User experience must be documented and educated throughout the process of migration.
- Post migration of user, resources and shared mailboxes – multiple systems like HRMS, Salesforce, Internal Ticketing system, and RFC servers must be integrated to use Office365 instead of legacy Domino environment.
What we proposed
Star Knowledge executed the migration for this customer by using Quest Migration manager to address the business-critical needs of the customer. With Quest Migration Manager, we were able to provide:
- A seamless user experience through the transition of the email migration.
- Cross domain and cross platform Free/Busy lookups.
- Delegated calendaring and email management.
- Synchronization of calendar between Exchange Online and Domino Servers.
- Pre-synchronization of mailboxes way ahead of cutover date.
- Synchronized Rooms and resource mailboxes for bookings.
- Complete end to end planning of users with batches were planned and developed mail merge macros for sending user notification regarding the email migration.
- Setup support desk for user to contact when there are issues with respect to migrations.
- Executed the complete migration as per the plan and all deliverables were met.
- 3rd part application such as HRMS, GARP, and other employee management and wellness application were properly integrated to use office 365 instead of domino servers.
Results & benefits obtained
- Achieve the benefits of lower operational and maintenance costs through moving to Office 365.
- Office 365 offers simple, flexible, remote email access, improved collaboration via centrally stored data
- For those businesses using Microsoft Server, the integration of the Active Directory with MS Exchange mail and SharePoint allows for a single source for user account management
- The applications/services provided by Office 365 are updated and maintained in the cloud, so a user need not update the software on their own.
- Office 365 is easier to use in comparison to Lotus Notes as the former has a simplified and user-friendly GUI.
- Lotus Notes saves the data on the local drive and O365 saves it on the cloud.
- When the mailbox is huge, Lotus Notes clients may require additional RAM for the client machines to load the mailbox, but with Exchange online and Outlook – it only cache the required data to user’s machine and everything else remains in the server.
OUR RECENT POSTS
Do have any thoughts, like how to move your business-critical services securely and dependably to the cloud? If no use our recommendations to get….